So I was in the marked for a bigger caravan. But since money is tight, I was looking at teh older models.
I looked around at all the dirreferent layouts and liked the layout of the Penta the most. Started looking around but knew that I still had my old Caravette6 that I had to sell before I could get serious about buying the Penta of my dreams.
I kept an eye on all the OLX, Gumtree and Junkmail adds for a while until one cought my eye. The seller was also willing to trade up for a smaller caravan. Just what I needed, now I dont have to sell the caravette. So I got in contact with the seller, everything seemed legit and above board. Photos was exchanged and it was arranged that I would tow the caravette to him in another town as he just recently lost his tow vehichle and could not tow the Penta at that stage.
So I took the drive and checked out the Penta. The van was 20 years old and still looked in fair shape for its age and price. I saw some water marks under the one back window and noticed that the window frame showed signs of rot. But it did not look bad and I have done this repair before, no big deal.
This is what I saw:
So we signed the papers and I towed my "new" Penta home.
Parked it under its new roof and the next weekend it was of to the testing grounds. Roadworthy passed and I got home, decided to start fixing the window frame and this is where it all went completely South.
Before I knew it I had most of the plywood, wallpaper and wood in the wall, on the ground in my "new" Penta. This thing was soaked. the wood in the walls was still wet. I dug the rotten wood out with my finger.
At this stage I realised I have already gone way to far to return this and demand my old caravan and monay back, so there was only one way, FORWARD.
I kept stripping and stripping and finding more rotter wood under every piece of wallpaper I removed. It was wet and rotten from behind the door all the way back and from the middle of the kithen all the way back.
Then I took the roof of and found that there was no more roof frame structure left.
But I will let these pictures tell you the story as my words cannot do justice of what I found.
Some more stripping done and it was getting to a point where I wondered if I was actualy capable of doing this. I am very handy and I have done smalled caravan repairs before, but this was getting big.
OK, now unfortunataly once I began rebuilding it I was so busy rebuilding that I forgot to take all the pictures I should have.
But I will run you through what I had to do.
All the wood timbers in the wall from the door to the back was replaced.
Some wod timbers replaced in the oposite wall from the kitchen to the back.
The whole roof frame had to be rebuilt.
5 Sheets of plywood with Jurgens Renolit had to be cut to size and glued in onec the old plywood was removed, the walls repaired and sanded down.
I was Lucky that my father who works in the DRC was here on leave and he decided to join the fun, now things started to happen fast.
The new ply wood went in and the roof was rebuilt.
I was also very lucky that I had a friend working at Jurgens and he supplied me with everything I needed at a very good price.
We decided to replace the old narow awning rail with the new wider one, we also added the new type of seal that goes under that new rail, I also added 30mmx1.5mm butyl between all the new wood and metal parts.
We got all the aluminium in straight sections, we had to bend all the new rails by hand, this was a big concerne, but we eventualy made a plan. we used 8mm 3core electrical wire inside the rail on all the corners to prevent it from folding. Then we took a long brandring and rolled the rail over the caravan body with this.
This worked buetifully and the rails fits like a glove.
The ugly dark gray paint was stripped of the fibreglass and resprayed in gray that is supposed to be similar to the original.
I also replaced the aluminium on the roof with white Chromadek flashing that has a 50mm lip, this will prevent water from ever getting in there again and this 0.8mm flashing also helped straighten up those walls.
Here are the pictures of the new parts going on
Getting to the end of this BIG project, the new rails are screwed down, the new seals are in, she is now starting to loog like the glamorous van she once was. I will post futher pictures once I am done, I have a few more days of work then she will be done. But she is looking nice already.
Lets not go there, I honeslty dont know. I sent him some pictures and he seemed shocked, he actualy offered to help pay for the repair and I have received a payment from him. I think he might have known about some of this, but the extent of this I dont know.
Dankie Julle, ja dit was baie harde werk en baie ure. EK trek nou so by die 300 ure, meeste van dit Saterdae en Sondae.
Gelukkig hoef ek myself nie te betaal hiervoor nie en die materiaal het ek by my vriend gekry teen n goeie prys anders was die glad nie finansieel dit werd nie.
Lyk baie mooi Maruis dit is iets om op trots te wees geniet die kampe vorentoe
Mooi so, jy het meer "guts" as iets anders.
Baie mooi gedoen jy kan erg trots wees
Maruis dis lekker om tesien dat jy weer n Penta n nuwe lewe gegee het bly jy het deur gedruk min mense kan dit doen . Nou kan julle lekker gaan kamp en jy kan trots wees op jou wa
Baie netjies gedoen Marius, wens ek het daai guts gehad.
Baie geluk met die werkie. Jy het goeie deursettings vermoe.