With all the information about the virus going around and it has ,now been declared a pandemic ,I am concerned about my caravan trip to the KNP in May and June for 4 weeks.
I am looking for advise what to do as this period will see a influx of overseas visitors using the ablution blocks etc.Furthermore during this period the park is booked out mostly by elderly people, including myself, which are more vulnerable to the virus,due to various ailments .
I read somewhere that the the medical doctor at Skukuza says they are prepared for the any outbreak but I am not sure.??
Anyway should I cancel ,postpone or simply use a mask and use a bucket full of disinfectants and hope for the best ?
Not sure if I am overreacting ,but I am presently in Melbourne and it is taken very seriously here with full blown medical facilities at the ready ,must say impressive, the medical services in Australia.
Due to there not being a vaccine for this virus I am of opinion that it it just a matter of time when a person will be exposed to it. Whatever the effect it will have on each person is determined by each persons health condition at that stage.
No matter what is said in the media on a countries preparedness for this virus. I will ask myself, depending on my health condition, where would I like to get the medical treatment if and when the virus gets hold of me?
I can tell you but one thing, surely not in the Kruger National Park or SA for that matter if you can choose between them and Melbourne.
This is purely an observation on the info you supplied wrt the medical services in Australia and that available in and around the Kruger at present.
Just a few months ago we had a discussion here on the forum concerning the lack of medical services in and around the Kruger in the case of a snake bite.
In the end its your choice. We have but 13 cases reported here in SA at present of the virus. Do not know how it will look by the time you arrive.
I will be in Kruger National Park in May and June as well and will not cancel my booking "just in case". However, depending on circumstances, I may decide to use my own bathroom facilities in the caravan, but then I must be convinced of a serious risk at that time.
My view is if you do the basic precautionary measures, you should not be at risk.
Ek is in Kruger April, gaan dit geniet.
Harry gaan jy en Jas bietjie saam kuier in Australia.
Ek is in the Kruger einde April vir 8 dae. Op die stadium lyk dit nie of daar rede is om te kanseleer nie. Sal maar die nuus dophou.
Leon, ek verkies om in die Wille Kruger te sit vir 21 dae eerder as in ..... TYGERBERG. Glo my, jy moet 'n slaggie SIEN hoe lyk dit daar!
Ek glo nie dat die virus sy spoed sommer gaan optel in SA nie, MAAR overgezecht zyn, as daai virus in net EEN van ons "agtergeblewe" dorpe invaar gaan jy grooooot bollies sien. Almal wat petrolpompe hanteer, die vuilgoed-lorrie-operateurs, bediendes en almal wat jou in die Spur en Wimpy bedien kom van daai plekke af.
Bushbaby, STAY there as long as you can! The doctor in the Kruger is probably well equiped to deal with tiger teeth bites and broken bones from elephant tramping, but I think the minute he strikes a virus such as this you will have a helicopter appearing poste haste.
Ons is van 14 April in die Kruger en dan is daar maar min besoekers in die woonwa Parke. Tensy iets drasties verander gaan ons voort soos beplan.
Jare lank spot die mense my dat ek te veel oefen en eendag gaan neerslaan. My antwoorf altyd as ek moet sterf terwyl ek oefen sal dit ten minste wees terwyl ek gelukkig is. Soek nie onnodig moeilikheid nie maar Kruger sal my ook gelukkig maak😂
Is in elk geval verby "sell by date" 😂
Sê ook gaan geniet die wildtuin, ongeag wat gebeur.
Tenminste het jy dit geniet.
Ek dink amper jy gaan minder blootgestel word in die wild tuin as by winkel sentrums ens.
Net versigtig wees by afsaal plekke, winkels, restaurante en ablusies daar kan jy n probleem op tel.
So ek dink n piekniek mandjie, drinkgoed en lekker besige Watergate gaan jy heel ok wees.
Watch net kinders as hul saam is tussen toeriste
We're also going to the park in April. 16-24th. Yes we will be very aware and keep ourselves
It sounds like a whole lot of members will be there in April, why don't we all post the dates and camps we are visiting and maybe a few meets & greets could take place?
We are at Mapangubwe, (Mazhou) 13-15, Punda 16-18, Shingwedzi 19-21 & Tsendzi 22-24
Ek's ook in die wildtuin gedurende Mei. Ek klink dalk ongeërg of selfs arrogant, maar ek gaan waaragtig nie kanselleer nie. Ek sal voorsorg tref sover ek kan en gaan beslis nie onverskillig wees nie.
Steamer - to add to your suggestion. We are booked in Shingwedzi (14 - 16 May), Mopani (17 - 19 May) and Satara (20 - 22 May). On our way northwards we will be spending 2 nights in Mokala National Park (Mosy Lodge) on 9 & 10 May. Ynfortunately I will be missing you, but I know that my first night in Shingwedzi will be Len Loader's last night there before he departs for Punda Maria. As a matter of fact, Shingwedzi was the last place where the two of us saw each other face to face.
And the only time I've met Danie SLK was in Satara in 2017 when he came around to say "Hi".
Well I am still in Australia and trying to get back earlier before they lock down cities and flights back to SA.
The way its portrayed here that 60 to70% of the population will contract the virus ,with the various measures they have taken they can prevent a spike in casualties requiring ICU,s Thus they can spread it out over say 6 months ,reducing the so called bell curve effect and having ICU,s available.
Guys this is serious stuff nothing to joke about ,in SA this will be a disaster of unbelievable proportions .This could be the biggest threat to modern man kind ??
I believe the figure has already shot up to 51 people in SA and will increase exponentially .Just think of the townships and squatter camps
I may cancel my KNP trip ,I will see what happens on my return
Ek self het n afspraak in die KNP vir Junie. Sal maar sien hoe staan sake nader aan die tyd. Daar is wel baie oorsee se toeriste in KNP en wil voorkom of hulle tans die groter draers is. Situasie kan natuurlik vinnig verander. Ten opsigte van toilet deel....hulle is gelukkig hoofsaaklik nie daar met karavane nie....op die oomblik glo ek gemeenskaplike ablusies is nog relatief veilig. ......behalwe die wat motorhomes huur
Soos genoem.....dis hoe situasie huidiglik opsom. Toekoms kan vinnig verander
14- 17 April Maroela. 17 -22 Satara. 22-24 Skukuza.
9-14 April Swadini.