Was the 10K only for the caravan surround, or does this include the bed extensions?
It looks like it is now 3 pieces attached to each other with Velcro strips. ( Caravan surround and the 2 bed extensions )
I would have loved to see the finished product in real live.
Why do you want to change the lifting system, does yours give problems? Mine was done when I bought it about 10 years ago and has been working hassle-free since. I have thought about inserting 4 supports next to “lifters” after the roof was raised and then lower the roof slightly to rest on these supports to take some strain of the cables keeping everything up, but never did. Once saw a slipstream with broomsticks keeping the roof up - lifting system must have broken.
I do not see the cable between body and roof that will prevent you from lifting the roof too high and either cause the telescopic lifters to come apart / over extend ( I do not know if it is even possible ) or tear the canvas or strip whatever is attaching the canvas to the body / roof?
Good luck with the lifting system and thanks for sharing the “before and after” pics.
Hi, I would liked to have replaced my tent as you have but sold my van before I could. I did a few mods and changed the inside around so I could make an outside kitchen which worked well . I don`t think you will be able to replace the wire with 6mm as I think it will be too thick . If I remember correctly to get the roof level you have to adjust the side that is higher a bit lower by adjusting on the adjuster nuts ( in last picture) and when it becomes level with the other side when you wind it up they will both be level. Hope this helps.
Hi, no my system never failed, I lifted the roof to the max with the winch and propped each corner with wood and the replaced each cable one at a time as they are now slack and then tighten them with the tensioning nuts . I bought the cable at builders warehouse.I cannot remember if I drilled a hole in each strut and put a split pin in to keep the corners up to take the tension off cabling when camping. It really is not a difficult job as long as you remove the panels to get access.
That is a lot of money to spend on an old van, but like you said quality does not come cheap.
If the body is still in good condition your van could last another 20 odd years and you would not buy something similar for the same money.
I trust you would also post some photos on how the canvas was secured to the van.
That looks great.
I have seen a view modifications to these vans and was wondering if the extra weight (especially with a nosecone) does not cause overheating on the brakes.The shock absorber on the run-in brakes is light duty and it does not take a lot of force to activate the brakes. – I have replaced mine ( shock ) since our last trip which might make it better now.
My other concern was also the movement on the A-frame. It appears to be flexing when traveling on uneven roads even though I definitely did not overload on the tow ball weight.
Thanks for sharing the pictures and info on the cable and pulley system for the roof.
It is a pity Jurgens stopped manufacturing these units. They seem superior to units that fall more or less in this category- tent trailers- on the market today. You did a splendid job on yours Hanre
What is the weights on your unit - I mean the original weights?
Swerwer, ek wens ek kon met eerlikheid sê "dis nie mooi nie" maar dan was dit 'n geval van "jalousy makes you nasty"
Baie netjiese werkstuk af gehandel, en soos genoem, die kleur skema is besonders mooi.
NB. Baie welkom op die forum
I find this very interesting and have a different approach.
Before commenting, I wish to make it clear that I am not prepared to spend a fortune, as I have a comfortable Caravette 6 with an island bed.
In 2016 I bought a Slipstream mk 2 which was off the road and relicenced with a replaced A-frame. It is used for long distances for short stays. The Caravette is used for longer distant stays and nearby short stays.
On receipt I immediately turned the 3 sleeper into a 5 sleeper of which one bunk can be used to shelve a kitchen in need. Rebuilt the small cupboard to take a porta-potti an bought a small fridge to go on top with a microwave to go on top of the fridge. I am considering rebuilding the cupboard to take the fridge with a small cupboard on top and the micro on top when the roof is extended. Also fitted a box on the A-frame for braai equipment, etc.
My only complaint is there is in effect no raising system ... just hinged metal bars and although manageable, heavy.
I recently replaced the surround canvas for R1 135 and have repainted/varnished the interior and roof external. Am busy repainting the bidy.
I also dont have a tent but find the Caravette rally very useful. Hope to find a way to also use my 3x4m tarpaulin as a rally tent.
All in all, my total set up won't cost more than 10 000.
Licence tare 200kg GVM750kg
The pother positive is that my daughterand 3 grand children used it and are now keen to borrow it again. Now look forward to camping together.