I recently bought a caravan through Hans’s Mobile Caravans in Krugersdorp. As I live in Margate I phoned about the caravan and was told by Hans that it was in excellent condition and had everything needed except a full tent, which was fine as we seldom use more than the rally awning which he said had an extension and sides. I was told it had a gas cylinder and deep cycle battery and he would make a plan for the crockery and dinette table that was not evident in the photos.
The double bed mattress was also wrong being a tapered one from another model and not rectangular as per base board
I paid a deposit on 9/12/2017 having been told they would repair a few small issues seen on the photos they sent. (Skillfully not focusing on missing items or problem areas)
I went to Jhb on the 15/1/ 2018 and phoned them to say I would be coming through on the 18th to fetch it and to please have it ready latest by 15:00 as I did not want to travel in peak hour traffic they said this would be ok.
I fortunately got there early as they did not have WIFI which they said they did so I had to go to a friend in town to EFT the balance, the caravan was also not ready, and Paul asked if I could come back a bit later which I did to find;
· No fire extinguisher
· The poles for the awnings which he stated were in the pole box did not exist and had to be made up from bits and pieces. Fortunately I had asked them to assemble the awnings on site
· There were no tent pegs or guy ropes
· The zips were the wrong way on the awning extension which he had only collected that day (Had more than a month to sort it). He said he would get it corrected and mailed down to me. I did eventually receive the awning after repeated requests and stories that it had been lying there in the post office for two weeks and was being resent at a cost of R500.00 (Was actually about R380,00 why lie?) Big surprise on receipt, no changes had been done and I had to pay R400.00 to get the zips done locally.
· They managed to lose the license disc and give me incorrectly completed transfer of ownership forms.
· They lost all the keys and had to take the locks to get new ones made – another delay.
· The stays crank handle, also missing initially and which I had to ask for was to too short to reach the front stays and I had to have it lengthened
· The “Deep Cycle” battery was 7.2 amp/hr alarm battery
· The dinette table which I was initially told they had, had to be made from a modified table they had from another caravan
· The plan made for the crockery was that I could buy it from Pep Stores
· The starter for the gas on the fridge was broken
· The catches on several cupboards were missing or broken and one cupboard was tied closed with a shoe lace. The one corner of a cupboard door that had come apart was “fixed” by two unsightly screws from the outside and the split is just as wide as before, absolutely no pride in their workmanship. I have repaired and replaced a lot of the problem areas at a parts cost of less than R50.00 and about 2 hours labour !!
· There is a long split in the nose cone fibreglass that was not mentioned and had to be repaired
· One of the window struts and catch was broken (Replacement R140.00)
· The number plate lights were faulty
· The wiring for the towing lights were not to SA Standard
· The gas bottle was empty
· The hand brake lever did not always catch as the button stays in when pushed to release
· I was delayed until about 16:00 so sat in the peak hour traffic on the highway with lights that did not work properly, with no extension mirror as I was told it would not be necessary. Great fun
Overall not a great experience with the costs to Gauteng and back adding to the expenses. They do not answer my calls or reply to voicemail requests to return calls.
Sorry to have to bitch and moan as a new member but maybe prevent someone else getting their fingers burnt