Ek het bietjie raad nodig: Het enige Skipper Oyster eienaar dalk 'n Easy Awn of Howling Awn afdakkie aan hulle wa geheg? Ek het nog nie ernstig ondersoek ingestel nie, maar dit lyk my die gasligters en die kanaal vir die tent kan bietjie probleme veroorsaak. Ek sal graag wil weet hoe julle dit oorkom het en ook watter tipe (Howling Moon maak bv drie modelle) die geskikste sal wees. Dan ook, hoe stabiel is sulke afdakke in die wind- nie noodwendig op 'n Oyster nie.
Interessant Edge, veral jou naam vir die wa. Ekself het al meer as 10 duisend km met die "clam" gesleep en n paar kleiner probleempies of liewer verbeteringe aan die ontwerp aangebring. ons is steeds hoog in ons skik. Ek hoop die afdakkie gaan uitwerk.
Kyle, I can imagine your excitement- we were in the same boat. I don't know where in Natal you are, but if it is practical, make use of the factory's offer to stay at McNicolls for the two free days just to make sure you sort out any problems or misunderstandings while you are still near the factory.
The upgrades I did are quite small really. Firstly I fitted mud guards behind the wheels. Then I discovered that the hinges on the outer door was not designed very well. You have a situation where the grooves on the bolts that acts as the pins in the hinges, are threaded right up to the head which causes fast wear on the hinges. This is exacerbated by the fact that the hinges are made of aluminium which is a very soft metal. I picked this up when I found the door having excessive play and it started rubbing against the door frame. I solved this by getting new bolts that are not grooved up to the head and I inserted brass bushes so that these rub against the bolt instead of the aluminium hinge itself. I did point this out to the Kerkhoffs who said they will look at this so perhaps they have already found a solution of their own.
Thirdly I got a bit frustrated with the steadies at the back which became difficult to push back because of articles on the shelves pushing the plastic tubes they run in, out of position. This I solved by glueing plywood disks with just the right sized hole in them to the middle shelf where the tube passed through to keep the tubes in place. In both this and the case of the hinges I explained this on this forum somewhere.
I ordered the van with only one florescent tube by mistake and I added another two myself. We now have two bedside lights plus one at the high point of the roof.
I have discarded the idea of a self made ralley tent which I earlier mentioned and am rather looking at the Easy Awn type if I can solve the problem I mentioned above.
I am looking at putting a sheet of clear PVC plastic in the gaused window opening next to the door. We had rain a few times when camping when you have to close these openings to stop the rain coming in. This means you cannot see outside at all which is a bit awkward. The clear plastic solves this problem. We have used it but I am still considering the best way to do this so that it can be easily put up or removed after the rain or cold.
And lastly I bought a set of six tyre monitors- four for the car and two for the van. Over the thirty years of caravanning we had two flats and in both cases the tyres were completely destroyed. I do not want a repeat of that, especially these days.